Sitting on the top of Gironde estuary, « La » Charente-Maritime is still a confidential destination among France lovers. You will discover a region shaped by water everywhere, a land of canals, marshes, rivers and a beautiful coastline, that built its lifestyle on the salt, wine, and stone trade in the early middle ages. Charente-Maritime is definitely a destination for those enjoying outdoors activities … And the good life of course ! Starting in the south, you will explore Cognac historic town center, with its many Cognac houses, opulent and impressive, before discovering the banks of the estuary with its villages and fishermen huts lining the coast. Being a land open onto the sea, you will see a lot of fortified villages, towns and churches, fishing villages and long sandy beaches. No huge cities in sight, except for lovely La Rochelle, the area's « biggest » city. You will live the life of posh islanders on the very chic Ile d’Oléron or Ile de Ré and end your tour sailing or padding your way through the Poitevin marshes in the north, nicknamed the « green venice ». Breathe!
Angels favorites in Cognac
Anne-Claire loves the bourgeois charm and elegance of the stone buildings of Cognac and Fanny loves the silence that reigns in the Poitevin marshes, only disturbed by the wildlife and the gentle sound of the water. She also enjoy a plate of freshly-caught oysters with crushed black peppercorns. Both love a chilled glass of Pineau des Charentes for an apéritif in front of the ocean.
When to visit
Mid season April to June or September to October.
• Market to table lunch with your market finds !
• Local Oysters everytime you get a chance !
• Gastronomic feast created by « fisherman-chef » at his 3 stars restaurant in La Rochelle, in front of the brigade
• Taste « eaux-de-vie » before Cognac is blended
• Learn how to taste Cognac with a specialist
• Discover sweet apéritif wine Pineau des Charentes
• A tuk-tuk with chauffeur
• A bicycle along the ocean
• A private boat on the ocean sailing by the coastline to see the fishing huts and troglodyte site
• Paddle through the marshes
• Fortified town of Saint-Martin de Ré
• The salt Marshes
• 12th century church overlooking the ocean in Talmont
• Artist’s village with colourful cabins in Oléron
• Create your own Cognac and record it in Château de Cognac’s archives !
• Climb your way to the top of a lighthouse
• Play golf by the ocean
• Enjoy a massage by the pool at your private villa
• The art of cocktail making with Cognac
• In a private villa in Ile de Ré
• In a designer’s hotel in renovated warehouse of a 19th century Cognac merchant
• In a boutique Relais & Château by a charming fishing port